October 2020 Latest UK Government Brexit Update

International travel From 1st January 2021
The rules for travelling to and from the UK and EEA are changing from the 1st January 2021. Please follow the links below for more information on:

Outbound travel

  • Passport requirements
  • Healthcare in the EU
  • Requirements for driving in the EU
  • Taking pets to the EU
  • Consumer protection 

Inbound travel

  • What visitors will need to enter the UK
  • School travellers entering the UK
  • What visitors can bring into the UK
  • Healthcare in the UK for overseas visitors
  • Requirements for driving in the UK

EU nationals travelling to the UK up to December 31st 2020

EU nationals will be able to continue to travel on ID cards until 2021. It is recommended that visitors who are citizens of current EU member states and have valid passports use the e-gates to make entry quick and easy.

Visitors who are citizens of current EU member states will continue to be able to travel without a visa. This will continue to be the case even if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. Learn More

What visitors can bring into the UK

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, there will be:

  • No changes to how visitors bring pets into this country.
  • No changes about what people can bring in their hand luggage.
  • There will be a new process at airports, roll on roll off ports, and Eurostar terminals for traders and intermediaries to declare ‘merchandise in baggage’. This refers to commercial goods intended for trade or business use

Driving in the UK

EU nationals with an non-UK licence can use a simple online tool to find out if they can drive in the UK.

If their vehicle is insured in an EU or EEA country or in Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland, they should carry a motor insurance green card or other valid proof of insurance and contact their vehicle insurer before travelling. 
View Tool

Mobile phone use

Visitors will pay the same for calls, texts and mobile data in the UK and the EU if both of the following apply:

  • The UK leaves the EU with a deal.
  • They have a SIM card issued by a mobile phone network from an EU or EEA country.

However, if the UK leaves the EU without a deal – or they have a SIM card issued by a mobile phone network outside the EU and EEA – charges will depend on individual mobile networks.

Flight protection in a ‘no deal’ scenario

The UK government has set out detailed plans confirming protection for flights in a no deal scenario. EU ‘no deal’ aviation regulation will ensure UK airlines can continue to operate to and from Europe. Contingency measures provide both tourism operators and holidaymakers with the certainty they need and ensure flights will continue after Brexit.
Learn More

Healthcare for visitors from the EU

Residents of EU countries visiting the UK after Brexit (along with Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland) should ensure they:

  • Bring a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • Have travel insurance for the duration of the trip

At the time of publication, the UK government is aiming to agree reciprocal healthcare arrangements either with the EU as a whole or with individual countries to provide urgent, immediate or planned medical treatment at a reduced cost (or, in some cases

Please note this information was correct at the time of posting on this site but Brexit is an evolving situation and circumstances change. Please be sure to get advice from your country of origin as well.

Very little should change during the transition period up to December 2020. Any worries or questions please Contact Us.